Friday, December 17, 2010

Notices

My notes/analysis of Kenneth Gaburo's Maledetto and Rick Burkhardt's essay on Maldetto is now available online HERE. For any interested. For those who are low vision, I've made the type bigger, so if you had trouble reading the older blog post from which I wrote the essay, this will hopefully help a little bit.

Brilliant poet and performer Holly Melgard, former student of poetry & poetics at Evergreen, just wrote me to say she's been writing on Gaburo's work as of late. And, as of late, Holly's also been doing some readings around town. Here's one.

Bard College's Language & Thinking Program, where I teach every summer, has a new blog, which I hope to contribute to soon. Check it out. Posts by Erica Kaufman and other faculty; Joan Retallack news, etc. Excellent resource for former, current, and future Bard students, but also generally for those interested in alternative, progressive pedagogy and experimental writing.

I'm rounding out my syllabus for winter semester here at Evergreen, a course titled "Transgressive Art/The Transgressive Body." On poetics & politics of embodiment &. Primarily a creative writing course, but wherein we'll look at several texts, film, and other artistic media in investigating the relationships between "the body" (a set of social-linguistic constructions, western and non) and "a body" (what in the west we often take to be the material, or corporeal, entity that moves or talks or breathes - i.e., a material instance of what in part helps determine western concepts of "the body"...), and works of art that narrate, critique or otherwise speak to or use these constructions, from live art to performative poetry, from post-ableist poetry to experimental video and text arts that interrogate or critique heteronormativity. So, in the home stretch, I'd be thankful for any suggestions regarding short readings, short filim/video, or other works (expository too), western or non, that you feel are either musts for such a course were you teaching it in a couple weeks. Or suggestions for any work that's perhaps not central but maybe often overlooked or not well known and you feel is important. Happy for any suggestions, so if you wrote something and you think we could use it, or should--let me know. So, feel free to make suggestions and converse via the comments form, or to email me backchannel. I'm especially looking for open source or otherwise free readings or works that we pay for but are inexpensive small press texts. Last, I'm looking for work that can serve students with varying degrees of experience in text arts/poetry-poetics, as this is an all level course, not an advanced or senior course. The syllabus is basically complete, but I'd like for students to look at at least a couple items not familiar to us, which right now means me since the course has yet to begin. Thanks, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment